Tuesday, May 13, 2008








www.wristcutters.com


I havent’ seen Wristcutter: A Love Story, but from other people’s review who has seen it, it sounds like a very good movie. I’ve added it to my Netflix queue and I’m just waiting for it to come in. In the meantime, I decided to check out the website to get a better insight on the movie. I just Googled the movie and clicked the link that has the title in it. It’s kind of confusing to navigate at first because when you’re directed to the link, you actually have to enter in and once you do that, it takes you to another site.

Anyway, once inside, it’s a lot easier to navigate than the Donnie Darko’s website and the homepage is very cute. It puts you in the driver’s point of view so you’re seeing the open road and the links are items on the dashboard and car parts. The steering wheel is picture gallery, the stereo is the music link, and the bobble head is the videos. I can see why the producers choose this layout. Reading the synopsis from the website, the film is about a guy who takes a road trip to find his ex-girlfriend who has also killed herself; a very clever use of the movie context.

So I decided to watch the trailer under the video link. The trailer looked interesting. It’s about a guy who kills himself after a break-up with his girlfriend and finds himself in an afterlife that’s worst than his previous life. He finds out that his ex-girlfriend also killed herself so he and a friend set out to find her. On their way they pick up a hitchhiker who also wants some answer and somehow they fall in love. I also watched the three animated webisodes that help promote the film and they were funny, but in an unsettling way. I’m not sure if it has a similar theme as Wristcutter, but it was about a guy who likes a girl who didn’t like her. So in order to get her to feel guilty for not loving him, he tries to kill himself, but keeps getting save by this other girl who is crazy for him. At the end he realizes her love for him and gives and loves her back. The moral of this short animation was that love survived. It had a link for it and I went to it, but it directed me to the main page of Wristcutter. That just makes me wonder if the moral of the movie is love survives. It seems like it is.

After seeing this website, I don’t really know how I feel about the issue it’s presenting. It’s a comedy romance, but how funny is suicide? I guess this film just goes to show that life isn’t as bad because you never know what’s on the other side. You learn how to appreciate the little things in life like a smile or a laugh. Reading other people’s comments about wanting to see this film for two years and how good it is after finally seeing it, makes me excited to see it. I hope it’s as good as everyone says it is. It didn’t win the Sundance Grand Jury award, but it has won the Best Narrative film at the Wisconsin Film Festival and the Audience Award for Best Director at the Milwaukee International Film Festival, which is awesome.

No comments: